Re: custom kernel compilation scripts

also sprach Tom Cook <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> [2002.10.21.1343 +0200]:
> It's hardly a lot to type in, and surely you don't do kernel compiles
> *that* often... (if you do, why?  It seems to indicate a curiosity
> that could be better directed...)

i operate 57 machines each with their own kernel. some machines need
modules, some need patches. i keep a file with the appropriate
bindings. the generated kernel files are named

  kernel-image-2.4.19-grsec+freeswan+imqhtb+qos-fishbowl

and it's rather simple to loose the oversight.

Maybe I am not quite clear on the modules and patches thing.

I want to go ahead and produce kernel-image and kernel-headers with
a selection of the installed kernel-patch and *-modules packages.

Say I have kernel-patch-freeswan, kernel-patch-2.4-grsecurity,
kernel-patch-vlan, and kernel-patch-xfs installed on a machine, along
with pcmcia-modules and alsa-modules.

now i want to create three kernel images:

  1. one for the machine 'albatros', which needs freeswan, grsecurity,
     and XFS. ideally, it should be called something like
       kernel-image-2.4.19-grsec+freeswan+xfs-albatros

  2. one for the machine 'fishbowl', which needs freeswan, grsecurity,
     vlan, and the pcmcia and alsa modules. i want to create
       kernel-image-2.4.19-grsec+freeswan+vlan-fishbowl
       pcmcia-modules-2.4.19-grsec+freeswan+vlan-fishbowl
       alsa-modules-2.4.19-grsec+freeswan+vlan-fishbowl

  3. one for the machine 'piper', which needs xfs and vlan, and the
     alsa modules:
       kernel-image-2.4.19-xfs+vlan-piper
       alsa-modules-2.4.19-xfs+vlan-piper

How can I do all this with one unified interface?

`. `'`