Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

On 21 Oct 2002 13:26:46 +0800 Crispin Wellington <crispin@aeonline.net>
wrote:

> So I would look at the commercial distro's dependency hell and say "This
> is simple fundamental stuff, the kind of thing Debian had sorted out
> back in 97 when no one knew what Linux even was."

Absolutely.  This and the drastic difference in default installation size
are what lead me to Debian.

> Is Debian really something you want to recommend to your friends? Maybe
> other geeks, but most of my friends don't know the computers power
> switch from the CD eject button! And I want to "recommend" them an OS
> where they'll have to understand what a /dev/ttyS0 is? Bah!

Without a doubt.  Why not educate your friends about how their PCs work?
A fundamental problem today is that people don't understand the "how" and
"why".  To attempt to protect the user from how a PC operates is IMHO to
do much more harm than good.

> When people ask me what computer they should use, I ask them, what are
> you going to use it for?

Again, I agree, but one part of helping them select the right system is to
help them understand that system.

--
Jamin W. Collins