Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Jamin W.Collins wrote:

> Without a doubt.  Why not educate your friends about how their PCs work?
> A fundamental problem today is that people don't understand the "how" and
> "why".  To attempt to protect the user from how a PC operates is IMHO to
> do much more harm than good.

I agree entirely. And I also think that most of the added benefit of linux
over windows is not available if you just run some office suite under X
instead of under windows.  I use linux exclusively because the time it
took me to learn the real tools -- grep, wc, emacs, perl, latex, bash,
etc. -- has paid off in spades when it comes to day-to-day efficiency. But
that logic is obscured when you just use, say, koffice under X instead of
msoffice under windows.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu