Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:26:46PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> One thing I found humorous was the "This is simple fundamental stuff,
> the kind of thing most other distros had sorted out back in '99 when
> everything was via textmode and the Linux GUI was new and exciting"

Makes me wonder if the guy had ever heard of X before...

> In a world ruled by commerce, I choose Debian. Debian hasn't got this
> "fundamental stuff" (or as I call it, fundamental fluff) worked out,
> because where Redhat, SuSe et al, would give man hours to this stuff
> prior to release, the Debian package maintainers were giving there
> attention to important stuff, ooh, like I don't know... dependencies,
> and bugs, and package inter-operation.

This should not be interpreted as a slam on the boot-floppies guys,
though.

> So I would look at the commercial distro's dependency hell and say "This
> is simple fundamental stuff, the kind of thing Debian had sorted out
> back in 97 when no one knew what Linux even was."

Exactly.  I'm convinced anybody who thinks RPM is A Good Thing really
should reconsider how much crack they smoke in a day.  8:o)

> Is Debian really something you want to recommend to your friends? Maybe
> other geeks, but most of my friends don't know the computers power
> switch from the CD eject button! And I want to "recommend" them an OS
> where they'll have to understand what a /dev/ttyS0 is? Bah!

I guess Portland's just way ahead of the curve.  I've gone through a
couple CD spindles burning Debian for friends, most of whom are
shocked that the software on the CD is actually free.

--
Baloo