Re: nautilus+nis

>>> Antoine Jacoutot writes:

> I'm having an error launching Nautilus on Debian Woody.
> I'm using NIS for authentification and /home is mounted over nfs.

> Here is what I get when launching Nautilus as a regular user (as
> root, it works):

> Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is
> that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but
> it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines
> at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)

Have you recently crashed out of Nautilus? Or some other gconfd using
program such as galeon?

If so you might have a broken lock file lying around that was not
removed correctly.

The solution is to do (first make sure you are not actually running
nautilus etc on this or any other machine where you NFS mount your
home dir):
 $ rm -r ~/.gconf*/*lock

I found this documented in the galeon FAQ.

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock