Re: kernel upgrading

    "np" == np rpr <np_rpr@yahoo.com> writes:

    np> Hi All, I am a new debian user. and am trying to upgrade my
    np> machine to 2.4.19, I downloaded the image and tried deb -i
    np> kernel-image.. it told me to add initrd=/initrd under vmlinuz,
    np> I did that but when I tried lilo.. I got the error that initrd
    np> doesn't exist. According to the message I am supposed to edit
    np> /etc/kernel-img.conf.  But I couldn't find this file?

Some unasked for advice to a new user: please start a new thread when
asking for help or changing topics. Don't just reply to an existing
message. Some of us actually do use threaded mail/news readers ;-)

When you installed your kernel, it was probably called something like
kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 (for example, this specific name is the one I
am using). The architecture specific extension -k7 may or may not be
there, but the initrd image has the same naming convention as the
kernel deb file name. The initrd file for the image above is
/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7.

Look in the /boot directory, and use the correct name in
/etc/lilo.conf.

Cheers!
Shyamal