Re: kernel upgrading

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:48:22AM -0700, np rpr wrote:
[re-wrapped for your reading pleasure]
> Hi All,
> I am a new debian user. and am trying to upgrade my machine to
> 2.4.19, I downloaded the image and tried deb -i kernel-image..

Don't use dpkg like this right now.  run `apt-get install
kernel-image-<version>-<whatever>' to install the kernel and the bits it
needs or use aptitude or dselect.

If you still want to use dpkg, at least check which packages it Depends
on, using `apt-cache show <package-name>'.

> it told me to add initrd=/initrd under vmlinuz, I did that but when I
> tried lilo.. I got the error that initrd doesn't exist. According to
> the message I am supposed to edit /etc/kernel-img.conf.  But I
> couldn't find this file?

Maybe this is provided by initrd-tools, a package that you have to have
installed to use the kernel-image?

> Is there any way so that my kernel and other dependent packages can be
> automatically upgraded by using dselect or any other command.. please
> tell me I am not much familiar with these as I am using debian very
> first time.

Nothing in Debian will ever automatically upgrade your kernel for you,
but you can ask apt to get you a new one `apt-get install
kernel-image-<version>-<whatever>'.

Debian is not Red Hat.  You virtually never have to install anything
using dpkg.  Use `apt-get install <package-name>', which will do go find
the package, download and it's dependencies, install them all then
perform basic setup, or aptitude or dselect.

-rob