Re: F*****g locales ....

Andrew Fowler wrote:

Is it just me, or are locales and their setup a serious afterthought on
Linux.  I havn't yet met a single distro which can sensibly set up
locales the way I want them.  Considering Linux was started by a Fin,
you'd think this would have been sorted by now ... calm down, calm
down.  Ok that's the shouting over !  Pissed off after fruitless hours
:-(

It probably is just a question of finding the right setup.  This is what
I am trying to achieve:

I live in Germany and would like to use German standards (e.g for date
formating) as well as have all German, French, Spanish and the Euro
symbols at my disposal (both in X and on terminal).  I wish to retain
English (British version if poss.) as the default system language
though.
I've figured so far that I should use ISO-8859-15 (or Unicode .. is that
available) char sets.
Trying to reconfigure the system using dpkg-reconfigure locales just
generates locales but does nothing more (doesn't seem to set them up for
use).  This morning I found a reference to localedef and tried that with
en_GB@ISO-8859-15 and set it up which resulted in a mess: now even a
simple "ls" in an xterm results in a weird mix of characters - more or
less incomprehensible ....

Anyway .. has anybody succeeded in such a situation - what's the answer
?  Otherwise, does anybody know of good documentation which explains the
how and why behind all this stuff ??

Help much appreciated,

Andy

I used the language-env package to configure for French. It handles all shells and X windows too. I don't know about the howto's, I found information specific to
French in the French Debian documentation. I don't know if there is similar
documentation for German.

Bijan