Re: Debian vs. SuSE 8.1

I used SuSE for quite a long time and a few of the guys here still use
it. I'n my opinion its the nicest of the comercial distributions. Its
easy to install and configure greate for people new to linux, you also
get tons of apps with it. I found that the SuSE mailing lists were
friendly and very helpfull. Its also nice that its a European based
distribution (good Euro symbol support etc also no problems with crypto
software). Their X support is usually top notch (they have some guys who
are very active in XFree86 developement I belive). The manuals you get
with SuSE are probably the best paper manuals ever as an introduction to
Linux.

On the other hand its not as granular as Debian so its harder to install
just the stuff you need. The management tools whilst easy to use for
beginners are a pain if you like to set things up just so. They dont
have "apt-get", they dont have "apt-get" they dont have "apt-get" .....

In summary I would say that SuSE is a great intriduction to Linux and
also great of computers aren't your hobby but you just want run apps but
Debian is much better for learning about Linux and for long term
management of a system.

Pat