Re: Lighter window managers

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:42:29AM -0500, Lance Simmons wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:45:59AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> > For the true minimalist, try ratpoison... I can't use it, but it is
> > about as light weight as you'll get, I think.
>
> Thumbs up for ratpoison.  There's no way to interact with it using your
> mouse, so you have no choice but to learn the keyboard commands.  It
> doesn't take long to get used to it, and then you navigate as fast as
> you can type.  I switched from ion this past week, and don't see myself
> ever going back.  Add keylaunch, and you can do everything you do with
> any of the other, mouse-friendly wm's, except you do it one keystroke at
> a time.

I've settled on Sawfish for my WM, because of the LISP interpreter.
I've got all sorts of neat functions bound to keys, for example:

C-A-KP{1,3,7,9} moves the window to the appropriate corner, avoiding the
GNOME panel.

A-F{5,6,7} maximises both, vertically and horizontally.
A-S-F{5,6,7} does the same as above, but will not expand past
neighboring windows, i.e. fill empty space in that direction.

A-_ undoes the last window managing action.

C-A-{Z,X,C,V,B} control XMMS from anywhere in X (XMMS bindings+C-A).

C-A-{arrow keys} move windows around.

A-M-C-{arrow keys} move a window in the desired direction until it hits
something.

C-M-KP{4,8,6,2} focuses the next window in that direction.

C-F{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} switch virtual desktops.

Thus I hardly ever need to touch the mouse to switch apps or fiddle with
windows.  One of the niftier things is starting a new Emacs window
(using dtemacs) a couple of Eterms, then hitting a few buttons to put
each in a corner, maximise the emacs window into the empty space, then
expand one of the Eterms to fill the space left.  Works quite nicely for
me.

-rob