Re: which half are you in?

on Mon, Oct 21, 2002, Russell (rjshaw@iprimus.com.au) wrote:
> dave mallery wrote:
> >
> > hi list!
> >
> > there's a saying that all people are in two groups:
> >
> > those who have done an rm -R * in root
> > and those who have not done it yet.
> >
> > last evening, i joined the former group after six years of linux and a
> > lifetime of computing...
>
> It takes a bit of conditioning of your habits to avoid these kinds of
> errors. I've never been locked out of my car because i *know* that it
> would happen if i didn't always lock the door with the key.
>
> Likewise, when doing a recursive delete of directories as root, always
> do "pwd" or "ls -al" if your path isn't displayed in the prompt.
> Another way is to do the delete from midnight commander where you can
> see everything.

There are a number of other ways to avoid this pitfall.

  - I've done rm -rf * from /.  I didn't do much harm, as I'd mounted
    all but one partition read-only, and was booted into an initrd
    image.  Bought myself a reboot, but no problems otherwise.   That
    incident inspired a response to someone who asked if GNU/Linux had
    any tools or mechanisms to keep users from doing really stupid
    things to themselves.  "Yes", I replied, "Bitter experience".

  - I'll frequently first chown a tree to a nonprivileged user, then
    delete files as that user.

  - I'll move files to another tree, then delete that (often as another
    user).

  - I'll look at the command before I run it.  Several times.

  - I'll generate a script listing the files to be delted.  Look at it
    several times.  And then run it.

  - When performing major system surgery, I have *two* sets of backups
    -- generally one local, and one off-system (either tape or network,
    depending on circumstances).

Generally:  be vewwy vewwy caweful as woot.  Back up anything critical
first.  And have a recovery path.  This doesn't have to be a
full-fledged plan, but it should be at least an idea of what you're
going to do if/when things go wrong.

Peace.

   ARM Computer:  Customer Service Hell On Earth
     http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-November/038616.html