High speed internet connection

I have been unable to get my high speed connection to the internet working on my Debian 3 -Woody installation. I have a Linksys Etherfast which requires pci-scan and tulip modules. I included both in my installation and "eth0" and "lo" are both up when I check with "ifconfig" . Neither "pppoeconf" nor the rp-pppoe programme direct from Roaring Penguin have produced a connection even though the modem lights flash . The rp-pppoe programme is working fine on my Caldera installation and I am able to connect without difficulty. What am I missing here.

       Any help will be appreciated .  Thanks in advance.

Ron Cumming