Re: A couple of small questions

Hi there, shaulka@bezeqint.net

On 20-Oct-02, you said:

s>> i) After much difficulty installing, and eventually having to do a hybrid
s>> Debian 2.2/3.0 install to get a working system, and then playing about
s>> (probably not a
s>
s>
s> Couldn't you use 3.0? It is the stable distribution now.

Oddly not, nor can I use 2.2 by itself either. To install in the first place I
had to use Amiboot from the 3.0 distribution and the 3.0 kernel, but the 2.2
ram image. Installing 3.0 exclusively produced errors after the first reboot
when trying to install the base system, using 2.2 exclusively caused a hang.

The method I used allowed me to get a working system installed, but then if I
subsequently allow the full upgrade to Woody, X Windows refuses to start
complaining of not being able to find the screens (as I learned when I
downloaded 103 meg upgrade over a dial up connection that subsequently bombed
my system, forcing me to start again from scratch). I dare say these problems
may be fixable with FBSet, but I'm sure that I got other errors during X
startup after (possibly) fixing this. For the moment, I'm happier to stick with
what works.

s>> good idea) the dselect database is in a bit of a state rgarding the
s>> selection state of the various packages. Is there any way to reset this to
s>> reflect the "Status Quo". ie - so that nothing will be installed/uninstalled
s>> or upgraded without my say so?
s>>
s> Can you be more specific? You might copy/paste and post here to show
s> what you mean.
s> Basically nothing is never installed/uninstalled or upgraded without
s> you say so. However it could be that you are a bit confused by dselect
s> or other utilities so that you don't fully understand what is going on
s> and ends up with undesirable results.

OK - when I first run dselect, it marks all installed packages for upgrade
(which for th reasons mentioned above, I don't want to do). If I then decide to
"Hold" all packages, except any I'm specifically requesting, I get several
dependancy conflicts. Whilst trying to cure this to avoid the upgrades, I've
made a complete mess of the selection states in dselect (which are preserved
across sessions), effectively meaning I can't use dselect to install anything
without it trying to upgrade my system. It could well be that it's down to my
lack of understanding, but what I want to do now is run dselect in such a way
that nothing is marked for upgrade, removal or installation, without the
dependancy errors. Then I could install any additional packages I want without
the worry. If these specifically selected packages produce dependancies on
upgrades themselves, I can make a decision about whether or not to continue
myself, without the system deciding for me.

s>> ii) I use FBDev to manage my display under X Windows, and have managed to
s>> amend fb.config to give me a working 1024x768 16 bit display. However, since
s>> I boot into a 800x600 8 bit display initially, this is the mode that X
s>> Windows starts in. To change I need to log in, open a terminal, run FBDev
s>> and then logout before the new screen mode opens (when I run FBDev from the
s>> terminal, the display is trashed until XWindows restarts). Is there a way to
s>> start X Windows in my preffered screen mode immediately?
s>>
s> I don't know anything about FBDev. Hopefully it is not different from
s> other displays in the sense that all you have to do is put the right
s> defaults in /etc/X11/XFConfig* file. If this is indeed the case and
s> that file has the right lines for the higher resolution then all that
s> needs to be done is to modify the
s>
s>    DefaultColorDepth
s>
s> line appropriately. Perhaps you should try it and post here what
s> exactly did you change and what happened. I believe /var/log/XFree86
s> might be of further help.

Unfortunately, the logfile doesn't help much. (well, not me anyway :o/). If
anyone would really like to see it, let me know, but bear in mind I currently
have to use AmigaOS for email, since I have no mail client installed on linux,
which would mean printing it out from linux and then re-typing it in AmigaOS.
It seems that on Amiga Hardware with a CV64/3D FBDev is necessary. If anyone
has this working with XF86Config, then could you let me know how you have the
screens/monitor/screenmodes set up (perhaps let me have a copy of your config
file as a working reference point). Please :o)

Tho' as I've said, it's only a problem a boot time. Once X Windows is running in
my desired resolution, it stays until I power down, so it's not a major
problem.

s>
s>> iii) Mozilla is painfully slow. Is there an m68k version of Opera (or any
s>> alternative full featured web browsers) around?
s>>
s>
s>
s> I don't run an m68k machine so I can't tell much. However
s> http://packages.debian.org suggests that there is a galeon deb for
s> m68k in testing. Installing it might necessitates you to install other
s> packages from testing (or not install it at all), which is why you
s> should take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I believe that
s> testing is rather stable now, at least on i386. I am also not sure what
s> performance gain you would get.

Thanks - when I fix problem 1 I'll have a look :o)

Regards

Steve
--

You ask for "documentary evidences" of my having been at the Marquesas ... in
Typee. ... Dear Sir, how indescribably vexatious, when one really feels in his
very bones that he has been there, to have a parcel of blockheads question it!
... Not (let me hurry to tell you) that Mr John Murray comes under that
category ... Oh no ... Mr Murray I am ready to swear stands fast by the faith,
believing "Typee" from Preface to Sequel ... He only wants something to stop
the mouths of the senseless sceptics ... men wh
o go straight from their cradles to their graves & never dream of the queer
things going on at the antipodes. ... I know not how to set about getting the
evidence ... How under Heaven am I to subpoena the skipper of the Dolly who by
this time is the Lord only knows where, or Kory-Kory who I'll be bound is this
blessed day taking his noon nap somewhere in the flowery vale of Typee, some
leagues too from the Monument. Seriously on the receipt of your welcome favour,
Dear Sir, I addressed a note to the owners
 of the ship, asking if they could procure for me, a copy of that part of the
ship's log which makes mention of two rascals running away at Nukaheva ... to
wit Herman Melville and Richard T. Greene. As yet I have nothing in reply ...
If I think of any other kind of evidence I will send it, if it can be had &
dispatched.
-- Herman Melville, on Typee