Re: A couple of small questions

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:10:41PM +0100, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a newcomer to linux (m68k - for full hardware config see my sig) and I have
> a couple of questions:-
>
> i) After much difficulty installing, and eventually having to do a hybrid Debian
> 2.2/3.0 install to get a working system, and then playing about (probably not a

Couldn't you use 3.0? It is the stable distribution now.

> good idea) the dselect database is in a bit of a state rgarding the selection
> state of the various packages. Is there any way to reset this to reflect the
> "Status Quo". ie - so that nothing will be installed/uninstalled or upgraded
> without my say so?

Can you be more specific? You might copy/paste and post here to show
what you mean.
Basically nothing is never installed/uninstalled or upgraded without
you say so. However it could be that you are a bit confused by dselect
or other utilities so that you don't fully understand what is going on
and ends up with undesirable results.

> ii) I use FBDev to manage my display under X Windows, and have managed to amend
> fb.config to give me a working 1024x768 16 bit display. However, since I boot
> into a 800x600 8 bit display initially, this is the mode that X Windows starts
> in. To change I need to log in, open a terminal, run FBDev and then logout
> before the new screen mode opens (when I run FBDev from the terminal, the
> display is trashed until XWindows restarts). Is there a way to start X Windows
> in my preffered screen mode immediately?

I don't know anything about FBDev. Hopefully it is not different from
other displays in the sense that all you have to do is put the right
defaults in /etc/X11/XFConfig* file. If this is indeed the case and
that file has the right lines for the higher resolution then all that
needs to be done is to modify the

    DefaultColorDepth

line appropriately. Perhaps you should try it and post here what
exactly did you change and what happened. I believe /var/log/XFree86
might be of further help.

> iii) Mozilla is painfully slow. Is there an m68k version of Opera (or any
> alternative full featured web browsers) around?

I don't run an m68k machine so I can't tell much. However
http://packages.debian.org suggests that there is a galeon deb for
m68k in testing. Installing it might necessitates you to install other
packages from testing (or not install it at all), which is why you
should take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I believe that
testing is rather stable now, at least on i386. I am also not sure what
performance gain you would get.

Hope this helps.