error message when trying to install woody to Compaq Armada 1750 : debootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

Hi guys,

I'm a bit perplexed here - trying to install "woody" bf24 kernel onto my
Compaq Armada 1750 laptop.  I get this error message:

debootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

Now i've started the install as "bf24 video=vga16:off" to stop a issue with
a dodgy screen (from a previous user post) with this laptop.  I've ran thru
all my kernel modules etc and it keeps failing.  I've done some googling and
found a few references to either bad CD or problems with disk drives...I
don't think it's an issue with the CD (didn't have too many problems
installing it on my main desktop PC).  I don't think it's a hard drive issue
either (laptop has had suse 8 pro, rh 7.2, rh 7.1, rh 7 and win95b, win98,
win2k on it without any hdd issues before).  I do admit that I started this
debian install over the top of a Suse 8 pro install (in my experience this
shouldn't make an iota of a difference).  My hdd partitions are:

hda1 	Boot	Primary 	Linux ext3	54.20
hda2		Primary		Linux ext3	3986.85
hda3		Primary		Linux swap	263.21

Now to my eyes that looks ok.  I've initialised main partitions (hda1 &
hda2) i've also initiliased hda3 as linux swap.  Drives have been mounted as
well.  The only thing i'm not sure on is when initialising hda2.  I go thru
the process, marking it as hda2.  The journal is created for ext3 ok.  Then
it drops me to select mount point.  I get the following options:

/boot
/usr
/home
other

I know I don't want to select boot (hey that's what hda1 is), i've tried
/usr and tried /home...neither of them work.  Unfortunately, said laptop
isn't on the ntfs network here, so I can't copy across error messages.
Checking out /var/log/messages shows:

(none) user.err dbootstrap[13305]: debootstrap exited with an e$

I'm surprised at the problems, because i've never had an issue installing
linux onto said laptop, and I know Debian is the most robust linux
distribution out there.  Am I doing something wrong (quite possibly)???

I do not get any other error messages at all, anywhere (unlike some of the
google responses that come up with "Failure trying to run:chroot /target
mount").
I searched the debian user lists archives with no result back to Oct 2001.
Surely someone else has come up with this issue?  Note that I used the
actual error message as the search criteria.
Help!
Dave