Problems install, DVD on hdc

Hi all,

Ive been using Red Hat 7.2 for a year or two but want to upgrade to debian,
I re-partitioned AOK, Installed the kernel and base AOK all from CDROM,
Re-booted via existing LILO and got ready to select software.

However when I told the installer to use CDROM it said it couldn't find it ??
i ctrl-alt-f2 and checked /dev/cdrom pointed to hdc, it does.

To check I typed the following as root

mkdir test
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc test

and got

ide-floppy driver 0.92
hdc: driver not present
mount: /dev/hdc is not a valid block device

This is wierd, hdc worked fine on red hat + the initial setup was done via
the same drive on debian ??

Any ideas guys ???
Any help much appreciated
Dave