Re: Backup Script

hi ya du

- when making backups... you'd probably want month/date as part of
  your backups  ( assuming bash backup script )

	date '+%Y%m%d' 		--> 20021019
	date '+%Y.%m.%d' 	--> 2002.10.19

- for tar stuff
	-mtime -7	last 7 days
	-mtime -30	last 30 days

- you probably want to remove some files from the backups
	*.o  *.c~   *.bak ....
	.netscape/cache  or .mozilla/*/*/Cache

	find /root /home /etc -mtime -7 | egrep -iv "\*.o|\*.c~|\*.bak"
		| tar zcvf /mnt/Backup/`date '+%Y.%m.%d'`.tgz -T -

	make that a script if you like

	- dont forget to make the backup file root-readable only
	- encrypt the backup file if you're paranoid

- you probabably wanna run your daily backups automatically from cron
  crontab -e
	#
	# Daily 12:05am == Daily Incremental Backups w/ counter since lastfull backup
        5 00 * * *	/usr/local/scripts/Backup.pl -skipWeb
	#
	# Sat at 1:01am == Weekly 30-day Incremental Backups
        1 01 * * 6 	/usr/local/scripts/Backup.pl -skipWeb -inc32
        #
	# Sun at 2:01am == Weekly Full Backups
        1 02 * * 0	/usr/local/scripts/Backup.pl -skipWeb -full
	#
	#
	# you should do a 90 day incremental backup too
	#
	1 03 * * 0      /usr/local/scripts/Backup.pl -skipWeb -dayz 95
	#

- and if the backup disks/partition was full for the past 2 days..
  and crashed the disk ... can you recover all your data ???

for lots of various backup scripts
	http://www.Linux-Backup.net/app.gwif.html

c ya
alvin