Re: unknown restarts

Scott Henson wrote:
On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 13:41, Scott Henson wrote:

I reinstalled my system last week with a mix of unstable and
experimental(gnome2 packages).  Since then I have been experienceing
some unexplained restarts.  Basically the machine randomly restarts with
no explanation in my logs.  It only happens while idle.  I have yet to
have it restart while Im working on it.  I will leave it while logged in
and then when I come back the computer has restarted.  I have left it

Well Im thinking this is a hardware problem.  The machine restarted
under windows while playing GTA3.  I have checked the ram and it seems
to be good. Does anyone know a way I can track down the problem? Thankyou.

I am not saying this is your problem, but I submit it just to add another dimension. A friend of mine recently had the same symptoms on a Linux box...random restarts and "clean" log. He fought this for several weeks and one day noticed his .bash_history file had been sym-linked to /dev/null. This got him thinking about being hacked, and thats what it turned out to be! I think he had been "rooted" with the "lrk4" root kit, and interestingly the chkrookit package from Stable didn't find it!

Just another thought...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-