Re: Debian Gamers/Developers

Edward Guldemond wrote:
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:10:20PM -0500, Gianfranco Berardi wrote:

In the topic called OT: Programming books, it was mentioned that some people would like to get a group going that would develop games for Debian. This is just to see how many would be interested. If enough people get together, perhaps we could even get our own mailing list.

We could help develop games for our favorite distro, and also help each other out in terms of learning about the development of games specifically and programs in general.

Any other goals, wishes, complaints?
Let's not keep this a pipe dream B-)
Gianfranco

I'm up for it.  I have a decent knolwedge of C++, and am looking to
learn OpenGL.  Any books you would like to recommend? :-)

In terms of OpenGL and games, I would suggest "OpenGL Game Programming" as it is an easy read and very helpful in terms of learning OpenGL. Unfortunately it is Windows-centric, as it also teaches you DirectX (sound, input, but graphics are OpenGL). Then there is "Linux Game Programming" from the same publisher. I haven't finished it yet, but it is good to see what is available in terms of development tools. Also, if you can find it, "Game Architecture and Design" is a great book if you want to learn how to work efficiently in a team, or even just designing a game in the first place. Easy to read and pretty honest. It tells you up front that it is simply suggestion ideas in terms of protocols to follow and that you can tailor their suggestions or even throw them out completely. Also, nehe.gamedev.net is a great source for OpenGL tutorials. Some ports of the tutorials have been made to SDL, so that is cool.
Gamedev.net is a good source in general.
Hope this helps!
Gianfranco