Re: USB storage (memstick) trouble

You'll probably need to build your own module (I'm surprised at that,
since I would have expected USB to be in the sock kernel, but from your
message it looks like it's not).  You'll want to read the kernel docs on
the debain website, but the basics are:

apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.4.18
cd /usr/src
bunzip2 kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
cd kernel-source-2.4.18
make menuconfig
	(select what you need, including the SCSI and USB stuff)
make-kpkg binary
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i kernel-image-...-deb (where ... is the kernel you just made)

HOWEVER... I still think there's a hardware problem. Not with your reader,
but with the computer you're using. If lspci doesn't show a USB
controller, no amount of kernel hacking and modules is going to make it
show up.  So although the advice above is what you would need to do if you
had evidence of a working USB system, I think you need to deal with the
hardware issues first. Check if USB is enabled in the BIOS. If it is,
check hardware wiring. IF that's okay, I'm stumped and maybe someone else
here who's better at hardware can have a stab at it.

ap

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu