Re: USB storage (memstick) trouble

Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:
> You'll probably need to build your own module (I'm surprised at that,
> since I would have expected USB to be in the sock kernel, but from your
> message it looks like it's not).
And rightly so, since it was indeed present ;0)
... I was spared all the <snipped> kernel gymnastics (shiver) ...

> HOWEVER... I still think there's a hardware problem. Not with your
> reader, but with the computer you're using. If lspci doesn't show a USB
> controller, no amount of kernel hacking and modules is going to make it
> show up.  So although the advice above is what you would need to do if
> you had evidence of a working USB system, I think you need to deal with
> the hardware issues first. Check if USB is enabled in the BIOS. If it
> is, check hardware wiring. IF that's okay, I'm stumped and maybe someone
> else here who's better at hardware can have a stab at it.
The Bios cut it - enabling the tw USB controlers and adding
/dev/sda1       /usbfd          auto    noauto,user             0       0
to /etc/fstab was all it took in the end - could have had this earlyer, but
this way I got to communicate ... thanks for the help!

Joh