Alsa & Kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

Hi,

I installed Woody using the bf2.4 boot floppies on my NEC Ready 220T laptop (an oldie with a Pentium MMX processor).  I'm trying to get the sound card to work.  It's an ESS, model ES1879 Plug&Play AudioDrive (which Alsa supports).  However, I have a couple of questions since I know precious little about Alsa and even less about PnP hardware in Linux.

First, trying to install alsa-base I need to install suitable alsa-modules, which apparently depend on the type of processor (?) my machine has, as well as on the kernel.  I have no clue which of the alsa-modules would work for me (and then apparently I'd have to install the kernel sources and a couple other packages, or so it seemed, to fulfill dependencies), or if I'll have to do some recompiling (yikes!) in order to build (?) the alsa modules that work for me.

Second, I did a pnpdump and no boards were found whatsoever.  lspci doesn't see my sound card either (but I believe the card is isa anyway).  Even if I get alsa installed, how can I deal with a sound card that doesn't seem to "be there" at all?

I must point out that everything else is working fine, including X and my PCMCIA network card.  Indeed, I'm using Mozilla on my Woody box to compose this message: it's only the sound config that's giving me the willies.  So help, please!!!

Thanks in advance,
Eduardo

-------