RE: URL forwarding

www.mydomain.com
I have put
RewriteEngine  on
RewriteBase   http://www.mydomain.com/
RewriteRule   ^(.+)          http://www.myweb.com/~mypage/$1

in the /var/www/.htaccess directory, which is empty except that one file.

Unfortunately when I browse to http://www.mydomain.com/ it ends up showing
the empty directory /var/www/. Looks like apache does not care about the
.htaccess file, or I configured it wrong.

Thanks,
Sebastiaan

ps: I do not have any special access to www.myweb.com

(sorry my mail client is such a piece of shit)

Does your host provide for the use of .htaccess files, and if so, is mod_rewrite URL-rewriting a feature that is supported?  This is something that is specified in the httpd.conf file, usually.  Read up on .htaccess files at http://httpd.apache.org/ and then make sure that your host is configured to let you use them.  Or just ask the webmaster.

Also, I think that your RewriteBase directive should specify an absolute filesystem path, not a URI.  But I can't remember if it's an absolute filesystem path according to the server's filesystem or according to document root.  So I would try:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /var/www/
RewriteRule ^(.+) /home/~mypage/ [R]

It might not work, but experiment with those paths -- mod_rewrite is a bitch and I haven't yet mastered it myself.

Erik