compiling for different architectures

Hi,

I have downloaded the source for kde 3.0.4 (debian version of things)
and am in the process of compiling it on a powerpc sarge box.  The
precompiled debs are available only for i386.  I use dpkg-buildpackage
to build things and for the most part things go well.  The only caveat
is that in one particular application, kcmlilo, it should only be
compiled for an i386 box.  The debian/control file indicates this and
doesn't compile, but the installation scripts, specifically dh_install
fails because the kcmlilo.install file has some files listed to be
installed but since the application is never built, the files don't
exist.  When I use dh_install -Xlilo, I get past the install problem,
but dh_gencontrol has a problem, since it sees the i386 in the
Architecture field of the control file.  Not knowing what the proper
way to handle this, I just edited the control file and removed all
references to kcmlilo and dpkg-buildpackage went without a hitch.

Now for the question, for multi-architecture builds, is it proper to
edit the control file and delete entries.  This just doesn't seem
right, but I couldn't see any other way to get a successful build.
This is the first time I have compiled from the debian source and want
to find out the correct way to do things.

Thanks,

John Schmidt