Re: [OT]: Sort-of. What's the best way to "contribute"

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 06:10, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 October 2002 14:58, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> > Since my posts usually get ignored we'll see what happens with this one.
> > :-)
> >
> > Since I don't have a great deal of money yet (When I win the lottery I
> > promise to send big checks to Debian and Samba!! :-) ) what is the best way
> > to contribute to the open source community?  I've poked around on
> > sourceforge to see if I could lend a hand but many of the projects that I
> > found are probably a little over my head at this juncture.  The initiative
> > here is two-fold.
> >

> 3) write tutorials, howtos, web docs, etc.  Write a puff piece for freshmeat,
> slashdot, etc.

Yes! More documentation. More!

How about a "How to setup Debian the way Barry deFreese likes it."
HOWTO? Seriously. I've seen other docs like this, and although I don't
follow them exactly, they invariably give me small ideas to incorporate.

It's the thing that constantly amazes me about this whole chaotic
development process and this 'Linux' thing that has been born. The fact
that all these people are running this same OS, but all running it in
completely different ways. We get so used to our own
interface-streamlining, that we often forget that the guy running Linux
down the road has it set up sooo totally differently, that we'd feel
lost on their desktop. Its a different headscape to the closed source
vendor OS (OSX, windows), where one size fits all.

Without seeing how others operate within this chaos, how can we be open
to new paradigms of user-machine interface?

For me, recently I read that article on freshmeat
(http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/) about running ratpoison
alongside screen as an X/Shell combined desktop. This was a prime
example. I tried ratpoison, didn't like it. So I gave Ion a try as a
window manager. I'm running this ATM, really liking it, seeing the
potential it holds, and seeing the problems it has, and thinking of
features I would like.

Now if I had more time, I might dive in and contribute, and perhaps I
will in the next 6 months or so, but the point is, without that original
article on freshmeat, I would still be a blackbox zealot with a closed
mind thinking I had finally found my final resting place. As if there is
such a thing...

If you do write documentation, don't forget to attach a license. The FDL
springs to mind.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington