Re: [OT]: Sort-of. What's the best way to "contribute"

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 14:58, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> Since my posts usually get ignored we'll see what happens with this one.
> :-)
>
> Since I don't have a great deal of money yet (When I win the lottery I
> promise to send big checks to Debian and Samba!! :-) ) what is the best way
> to contribute to the open source community?  I've poked around on
> sourceforge to see if I could lend a hand but many of the projects that I
> found are probably a little over my head at this juncture.  The initiative
> here is two-fold.

1) submit useful bug reports.

2) read existing bugs reports and offer help, suggestions, etc.  Often
developers are unable to reproduce a bug and it is much harder to solve a bug
you can not see.

3) write tutorials, howtos, web docs, etc.  Write a puff piece for freshmeat,
slashdot, etc.

4) join mailing lists and help out those just starting.  Read what other
people say.  You can learn a lot this way.

5) find a bug that is bothering you and try to fix it.  Focus just on it.  If
it is obviously too hard of a bug see if you can find a smaller one.
Alternatively try to add in a feature you are missing.  Again start small.

I always tell people on this list that a few helpful bug reports more than
pays a new user's entrance fee into Debian.  Same goes for upstream software.