Manual install/configuration

I've been using a few different linux distros and have also recently tried
OpenBSD.

One of the things I like about OpenBSD is that the install is very basic, and
most of the post install configuration is performed by manually editing files
in /etc/* .  The reason I like this is because I know exactly what is taking
place during configuration.

I am new to Debian.  Does debian have the ability to be manually configured
in such a way, or is most of the install configuration taken place via. a
graphical installer?

Thanks,

Chris