Re: Manual install/configuration

on Thu, Oct 17, 2002, snowch (snowch@care4pcs.com) wrote:
> I've been using a few different linux distros and have also recently
> tried OpenBSD.
>
> One of the things I like about OpenBSD is that the install is very
> basic, and most of the post install configuration is performed by
> manually editing files in /etc/* .  The reason I like this is because
> I know exactly what is taking place during configuration.
>
> I am new to Debian.  Does debian have the ability to be manually
> configured in such a way, or is most of the install configuration
> taken place via. a graphical installer?

The best way to show you would be for you to install Debian.

Debian _doesn't_ have an equivalent to 'rc.conf', which is a single
point of contact configuration file for OpenBSD.  Then again, the BSDs
don't have SysV Init, which is damned convenient if you occasionally
stop, start, or restart services _after_ you've booted the system.  The
contents of /etc/rc?.d/ are generally equivalent to /etc/rc.conf, though
of course there are differences.

Generally, configurations of various subsystems in Debian live under
/etc.

Debian's packaging is very roughly equivalent to oBSD's ports.

Debian tends toward a text / curses based installer, and config-file
based management, rather than GUI tools.  There _are_ GUI alternatives
to both if you lean that way, but they're neither required nor (at this
time) standard.  Debian's a lot closer to the metal than your typical
RPM-based GNU/Linux distro.   There are those who say the One True
Distro is Slack.  Gentoo's also got a rising fanbase, and also tends to
give the user a lot of lattitude.  Advantage of Debian is that the
distro will hold your hand and provide an autopilot where you find this
useful, but gets out of your way where you prefer more control.

See especially, Debian Policy.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/