Re: 3.0:Switching Video Card Drivers

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 13:14, nate wrote:
> geno said:
> > What is the easiest way to change the video card driver (to a different
> > one  on the disks) on an installed system?
>
> if you know what driver you need the easiest and safest way is to
> edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the driver

NO!!!!

If you do it this way the next time you upgrade xfree86 your changes
will get over written.  It is safer to use the debconf interface to do
it.  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 as root should do the trick.  If
you want to edit XF86Config-4 by hand then answer no to the first
question(I believe) and have fun.  Otherwise, just answer the rest of
the questions and it will create a nice XF86Config-4 for you.

-Scott