Error installing Debian 3.0

Hello,

I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 but the kernel locks up during
installation.

The machine is an AMD Athlon MP 2000, with an Asus A7M266-D motherboard
and chipset AMD 760MPX.

When I try to install using kernel 2.4, I boot the instalation with the
bf24 kernel, the kernel locks with the message:

APIC error on CPU0: 04(04)

When I try the default kernel, 2.2 series, the installation is
successfull, but I can't configure my network card, 3COM 905C Tornado.
When I try to load the driver it always try to use interrupt 0. The same
thing happens when I try a Realtek 8139 network card. Also, I need a 2.4
series kernel in this machine.

I tried other distributions (Red Hat 7.2 and Conectiva 8.0) just to see
how it would go, but the same problem happens.

Searching the Internet I found lots of messages in mailing lists of
people with the same lockup problem, but I haven't found any solution.

I tried to boot the kernel with parameters noapic and reboot=bios, but
they didn't work.

So I would like to ask if anyone has successfully installed Debian 3.0
on the same hardware configuration that I have or, if anyone knows how
to solve the problems I'm having.

Regards,
--
Ivens Porto                         _/     _/    _/            _/