Re: using exim for simple mail delivery

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:43:22AM -0500, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:39:18 +0100 Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > This seems very odd. I thought that Debian set up exim more or less by
> > default.
>
> It does, for _delivery_ of mail provided to it.  The OP was looking for a
> simple way to deliver and sort mail to local boxes for (presumably) an
> account hosted externally. While exim could be invloved in the solution,
> it would not be the simpliest solution.  As the system is not normally
> connected to the net, the MX server for the account in question would
> probably be at an ISP (or something else remote).  Thus, mail would first
> have to be fetched in some way (fetchmail), then passed on to exim, and
> finally sorted on delivery (procmail/maildrop).  The addition of exim only
> increases the complexity of the solution as you can very easily pass the
> messages retrieved via fetchmail directly to your filtering/sorting
> application (procmail/maildrop).  So, why involve exim?

But exim _does_ sort mail.  I use it to do this ( see a previous post of
mine in this thread).  In the end, the various debian- groups to which I
subscribe are sorted into their respective files, as is exim-user, and
spam mail is sent to its own file.  procmail is never involved.

As to why involve exim?  You need an MTA installed for cron, etc,
anyway, so it may as well be exim..  And, although I've never tried to
set up fetchmail, some have said it was a wee bit more complicated than
exim, dunno about that..

The only thing I've wondered is if procmail might be a bit less resource
hungry.. My system is not that fast and not a lot of RAM, and after
introducing Spamassassin, it cannot process say, 100 messages coming in
at one time.. but I just have it process 50 on dload and queue the rest,
and this seems to work.

Anyway, AFAICT, my setup is working.