Re: using exim for simple mail delivery

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:39:18 +0100 Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
wrote:

> This seems very odd. I thought that Debian set up exim more or less by
> default.

It does, for _delivery_ of mail provided to it.  The OP was looking for a
simple way to deliver and sort mail to local boxes for (presumably) an
account hosted externally. While exim could be invloved in the solution,
it would not be the simpliest solution.  As the system is not normally
connected to the net, the MX server for the account in question would
probably be at an ISP (or something else remote).  Thus, mail would first
have to be fetched in some way (fetchmail), then passed on to exim, and
finally sorted on delivery (procmail/maildrop).  The addition of exim only
increases the complexity of the solution as you can very easily pass the
messages retrieved via fetchmail directly to your filtering/sorting
application (procmail/maildrop).  So, why involve exim?  Now, exim would
most likely need to be configured to pass messages injected by the MUA
(mutt in the OP's case) off to either the actual end-recipients MX server
or the ISP's SMTP server.

> How could you send and deliver mail without exim or another MTA?

As I understood it, this wasn't really the OP's question (see above).
Perhaps that is why your confused with the responses?

--
Jamin W. Collins