Re: Problem with XSERVER and PS/2 mouse

This one time, at band camp, Wathen, Metherion said:
> Hello, I just installed Debian 2x on an older Pentium PC. Everything
> went well until it was time to start X, the screen flashes text rolls
> by then it stops with a message that "xserver cant find /dev/mouse". I
> have a generic no-name brand mouse, it has a driver disk for the
> windows os.  Do I need to reinstall everything? Is there a way this
> can be fixed w/o reinstall?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all help.  mw.

Check that /dev/mouse is actually a symlink to /dev/psaux (the PS/2
port).  If it is, then something's screwy in your X configuration.

I'm assuming you're referring to the kernel version, rather than the
Debian version, above.  Try `cat /etc/debian_version` (without the
backticks) - if you see 3.0, it's woody, if you see 2.2, it's potato.
The reason I bring this up is that they have different versions of
XFree86.

For both, you can type `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86` to walk back
through the setup for X - this time around try choosing /dev/psaux as
your mouse.

If that doesn't work out for you, write back.  Try to figure out which
version of X you're running, and include specific error messages (from
the screen and the log files generated - /var/log/XFree86.log and
~/.xsession-errors).

HTH,
Steve

--
Indomitable in retreat; invincible in advance; insufferable in victory.
		-- Winston Churchill, on General Montgomery