Re: diald on debian?

Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> -SNP- <
I should mention that pppd's own dial-on-demand feature seems to work surprisingly well now.

pon starts up pppd, it hangs around waiting for an outgoing packet, then dials out.

poff kills off the pppd process, disabling dial-on-demand.

Turns out it's really easy to set up: add one line ('demand') to /etc/ppp/peers/provider.

When running pppconfig. this option is available under the "Advanced Options" section near the end.

If you rename the /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot file to "/etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot" then you don't even have to use PON. It will start up at boot time.

Also, some firewall / ipmasq setups that depend upon an external interface being defined prior to startup will have to be restarted after the connection via ppp0 is made. The ppp0 interface doesn't exist until a connection is made. A short script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d can do this for you automatically.

I used this setup for over 2 years without problems. It was MUCH easier to setup than diald, IMHO, and worked every bit as well. Yes... I have used both.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-