mail server of a sorts

Is it possible to do the following, or is there a better way ...

Objective:  setup a spare box that downloads mail for me and my family
from various POP3 servers.  DL'd mail gets scanned for spam and then is
held for eventual retrieval by users.

Proposed Setup

 _____________________
 |  Box 001          |
 |  running          |
 |  fetchmail        |
 |  for the Cleaver  |
 |  family: ward,    |  (June isn't in to computers)
 |  wally & beaver   |
 |                   |
 |  mail is then     |
 |  sent to procmail |
 ---------------------

 ---------------------     ---------------    -------------
 |  procmail recipe  |---->|  /mail/spam |--->| /dev/null |
 |  for spamassassin |     |  for review |    |           |
 ---------------------     ---------------    -------------

	  | (good mail)
 ---------------------
 |  procmail recipes |
 |  to put in        |----------------------------
 |  /var/mail/user   |                           |
 | folders for ward  |                           |
 | wally & beaver    |----                       |
 ---------------------   |                       |
     |                   |                       |
     |                   |                       |
     |                   |                       |
     v                   v                       v
 ------------------  -------------------  --------------------
 | /var/mail/ward |  | /var/mail/wally |  | /var/mail/beaver |
 |                |  |                 |  |                  |
 ------------------  -------------------  --------------------

So here's where I get lost ......

 ------------------  -------------------  --------------------
 | ward is on a   |  | wally is on a   |  | beaver is on a   |
 | Debian box     |  | win2k box       |  | dual boot box    |

I'm guessing that I'll need to run either a POP3 or IMAP server on Box
001 in order for the 3 clients - ward, wally and beaver - to be able to
retrieve their mail.  Is this correct?  And if so, could you please
recommend a good yet lightweight mail client, as Box 001 only has about
1 gig of free space (it's an old Sparc with small hard drives).

Thanks
Kevin