Re: OT: Programming books

Crispin Wellington wrote:
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 14:04, Gianfranco Berardi wrote:

Crispin Wellington wrote:

While most games are developed for Windows systems, you can find a lot of useful information at gamedev.net and such.

Oh yes! And gamasutra.com is another excellent resource.

Crispin

Yeah, how could I forget gamasutra? I am a card carrying member of the International Game Developers Association (hehe I got to say that I am a card carrying member of something), and that is basically THE site since it also pretty much gets the info from Game Developer Magazine.

BTW, a good book on taking you through a project is "OpenGL Game Programming." It teaches you OpenGL while taking you through what a game needs. Unfortunately it is also Win32 centric, so you will have to use "Linux Game Programming" to port any examples I guess B-)

As far as languages go, C/C++ is what is generally used. Java is getting better in terms of efficiency and speed, and other languages also have their place. I have seen some pretty interesting Delphi games/demos. Flipcode.com has an Image of the Day galary. Some of the developing screenshots are pretty cool, and not everyone uses the same language. That site also has code and tutorials on different aspects of game development/programming.
Gianfranco