Re: No DHCPOFFERS received

-- Cuno Sonnemans <cuno@home.nl> wrote
(on Tuesday, 15 October 2002, 09:33 AM +0200):
> Alan Chandler heeft geschreven:
> >On Monday 14 October 2002 11:28 pm, Cuno Sonnemans wrote:
> >>Alan Chandler heeft geschreven:
> >>
> >>I don't have a static ip adress but the cable company uses dynamic IP
> >>(DHCP)
> >
> >So what you are saying is that you have to use dhcp, but that no dhcp
> >server is responding to your outgoing request for an address.  As I said
> >above, do you have to register the ethernet cards address with the ISP?
> >
> >I've installed dhcp server, wasn't installed, but how dow I register my
> >card with the ISP ???
There's the problem -- you've installed a dhcp SERVER instead of a
CLIENT. The ISP has the DHCP server -- you need to connect to it with a
client. Try an 'apt-get install dhcp-client', and make sure your
/etc/network/interfaces calls the appropriate interface via dhcp, like
this:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

This *should* get you up and running. If it still doesn't work, you may
need to first set your IP address to 0.0.0.0 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
before initializing the DHCP client process (a known problem when the
DHCP server is Windows).
--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net