Re: OT: Programming books

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:04:29AM -0500, Gianfranco Berardi wrote:
> While most games are developed for Windows systems, you can find a lot
> of useful information at gamedev.net and such.  Also, the book "Linux
> Game Programming" might be a help, even though it doesn't take you
> through a project so much as describe the tools available and what can
> be done.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe this book would be a good one to buy just so I
can get a better idea of all the tools out there.

> Most books don't really take you through the process of a game, but
> "Game Architecture and Design" is a nice read that takes you through the
> design process in a way that will make you organized.

The book doesn't have to go through the process of a game.  It could be
any medium scale or larger program.  It just so happens that I want to
use the knowledge I gain to write a game.

> As far as walking you through from start to finish, Gamedev.net is your
> best bet. Warning, it is Windows-centric mostly, although there is a
> *nix forum and I find the forums to be very helpful.

I'll have to take a look at this too.  Since the game I want to write
has quite a few features of a roguelike game, I've been lurking at
rec.games.roguelike.development too.

--
Jason Stechschulte
stech@ypisco.com