Re: OT: Programming books

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:53:34PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> If your project is 2D and you want to develop it rapidly and robustly,
> and want it to run on all sorts of machines (not just linux) then I
> recommend using Python with the pygame library (bindings to the SDL
> libraries). Python has extremely string OO including multiple
> inheritance. Pygame is a high powered and cross platform game dev API.
> The games will run on Windows, Mac, Linux and BSD. Its also an ideal
> chance to teach yourself IMHO the second best programming language in
> existence today. Ive been programming computers for over 10 years in C,
> C++, Java, Assembler, Perl, PHP and when I found Python it was like
> discovering a hidden secret. Only LISP will server you better (all IMHO
> of course... no fundamentalist language flame wars please).

This sounds interesting but I was really hoping to use C or C++ since I
really want to learn more with those languages.  I'll have to think
about this a while.  I've mostly overlooked Python as a programming
language simply because it enforces programming style.  Kind of weak of
me I know, especially since that is basically the style I use anyway;
however, I just don't think it is a languages place to enforce style.

> Python can be slow, especially in large nested loops, but coding half
> Python, half C is very, very easy (many, many times easier than in other
> languages like Perl, Java etc). So in the end you may wish to optimise
> parts of your code in C functions. Optimisation is always best at the
> end of a project (Python even has a complete code profiling system built
> in so you can work out where delays are!). But with todays computing
> power, and a 2d game, your bound to have oodles of CPU cycles to burn.
> Check out the pygame website www.pygame.org

I'll take a look at this.  I'm sure any slow interpreted language would
be more than adequate for this game, but I'm still leaning towards C/C++
so I can use the knowledge I gain for other projects.

--
Jason Stechschulte
stech@ypisco.com