Re: Reiserfs & bad blocks??

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 04:47, Bruce wrote:
> I figured this is a hardware/bad block problem. I rebooted with a rescue disk,
> and ran reiserfsck --check /dev/hda2, and received the following error:
>
>  hda: read_intr: error-0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=148574,
>  sector=148511 end_request: I/O errore, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 148511
>
> From the above, I gather I have bad blocks on the hard drive. I had a look at
> www.namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html, and the only mention of bad blocks
> includes instructions for how to install reiserfs on a (presumably blank)
> partition with bad blocks; it says nothing (that I could find) about what to
> do when your _existing_ reiserfs drive gets bad blocks.
>
> I have seen similar questions posted elsewhere, i.e., on the linux kernel
> mailing list (though without answers), i.e.,
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0202.3/0546.html
>
> Is there a way (yet) to mark bad blocks on a reiserfs filesystem??

No. Reiser does not handle bad-blocks. Ext2/3 does, but that doesn't
mean anything, because you shouldn't get them in the first place. Modern
HDD remap bad blocks internally, so if you see hard read error's like
your seeing, your best bet is to get a new Hard Drive.

This has happened to me, and I moved the filesystem to a new HDD, and
re-formatted the dodgy drive with ext3 with a complete bad-block scan
during the format. I now use this space as spare non-critical space.
Lots of rubbish and downloads, and iso images (of cd's I have), and
backups of data etc. I am fully expecting the HDD to start smoking any
day and for me to loose all my data (which doesn't matter anyway). But
so far its been turning for nigh on 6 months now without a blip.

The important thing though, is *dont trust it*.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington