Re: xterm stops jobs writing to terminal

Rupert <rupert.debian@hotpop.com> [2002-10-14 22:20:20 +0100]:
>     XTerm*loginShell: true
>
> that causes problems. I don't know why telling XTerm to use a login
> shell gives rise to this strange behaviour, but it seems that it does.

Check your tty settings.  I am sure that when you compare a terminal
that 'works' to one that does not you will find different settings.

  stty -a

Try setting this:

  stty -tostop

Now that you have been pointed to 'stty' please read the 'man stty'
for the details of 'tostop'.  Stop on terminal output.

Login shells read your $HOME/.profile (or other file as specified in
your shell documentation.)  Other shells do not.  Therefore probably
you have something in your ~/.profile file calling 'stty tostop' and
therefore causing your behavior.

Or it is in your X resources.

  xrdb -q | grep -i ttyModes

Note that you could always have avoided the output by redirecting the
output.  Then the background process would not have been stopped on
tty output since there would have been no output.

  galeon >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Also, you could create your own ~/bin/mygaleon script which did all of
that for you.

Bob