xterm stops jobs writing to terminal

My xterm stops background jobs that write to the terminal. For example,

--------
2680 13:06 rupert@kitty:~$ galeon&
[5] 1223
2681 13:06 rupert@kitty:~$
{I wait a little, nothing happens, so I hit <return>}

[5]+  Stopped                 galeon
2681 13:07 rupert@kitty:~$
2681 13:07 rupert@kitty:~$ fg
galeon

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

--------

Now I can "^Z bg" it and carry on as usual, but if there are any more
error messages from galeon then it'll freeze and wait for me to "fg"
it in the xterm again.

Why? It didn't do this before, so I must have done something. Wish I
knew what ;) Also, gnome-terminal doesn't do this.

Rupert