Re: Saying thanks [was: Debian equivalent of .login file?]

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 00:15, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 06:12:38PM -0400, levi.waldron@utoronto.ca wrote:
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Is it considered polite to post a thank-you message, or is this
> > unnecessary email traffic?
>
> IMHO it's nice to see that people's problems have been solved. It makes
> a change from "aargh, it's all gone horribly wrong". :-)

Not only nice, but also very usefull : when posting, always keep in mind
that everything eventually ends up in online archives that will be used
by a readership much larger than the relatively small group of list
subscribers. So when your problem has been solved, by all means do
notify the list of which solution was the correct one. When I trawl the
archives for a solution to a problem, this is something I always find a
very valuable time saver.