Re: booting off of reluctant cd

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:37:17AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Sep 29, 2002, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> > i've got an old box that's just begging to become a firewall
> > but i can't get it to boot from cd -- it says it finds the cd
> > rom, says it's trying to boot from it, and then checks for a
> > diskette, then falls back to the hard drive.
>
> You've done the obvious:  checked the BIOS boot order?

oui.

> *Any* CD, or just the one you need to boot from?

i tried other cd's and they work just-a fine. boot and reboot,
warm and cold, no problem.

> Can you swap the drive with another box temporaniously?

tried another drive ($15 at the local elecrtonics shop) and same
story there.

> > according to 'man lilo.conf' i may be able to enter
> >
> > 	linux boot=/dev/cdrom
> >
> > or maybe
> >
> > 	linux boot=/dev/hdc
>
> Should work, if there's a bootable filesystem on /dev/cdrom.  If you've
> got a cloop compressed loopback filesystem (e.g.:  KNOPPIX, LNX-BBC),
> you've got other problems.
>
> > (if the cdrom is the master on the secondary bus) right? would
> > that leave anything fuxnored? or is the voodoo elsewhere?
>
> 2M == /dev/hdc, yes.
>
> What is the CD?  I suspect it's a Debian install disk, no?

don't be silly. debian stuff works fine just about 100% of the
time for me!

no -- it's for my firewall: i HAD installed IPCOP on this old
amd k6, but wanted to get the real smoothwall install going
instead (now that i've read the legal offerings at the
smoothwall site).

trouble is, the boot prompt for lilo (press SHIFT for prompt,
then TAB to see options) allows only "SmoothWall" and not
"linux". how do i get around that?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #82 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
Want to SEE INSIDE A *.DEB FILE? Try this:
	dpkg -x foo.deb
This unpacks the .deb file, and gives you
a file called data.tar.gz which holds the
contents. To look into this file:
	tar -tzf file.tar.gz | pager