Re: Rebuilding the Kernel Mini HOW TO

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:25:07 -0700 Michael Olds <MikeOlds@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> I am still in a fog in terms of simple things like symlinks. What you
> want is to end up with a link in the linux directory called
> kernel-source-2.4.18 that links to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18. So how
> should that be said?

Why would you want that?  To make sure we are talking about the same
thing, you're saying that you want to end up with
   /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18
that points to
   /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18

If this is correct, then your instructions in step 5 are wrong.

|[ ]5. # cd to /usr/src/linux
|
|      $ make menuconfig or make xconfig

The "make menuconfig" needs to be done at the top of the kernel source
tree.  Which, would now be /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18.  Perhaps
what you intended is that
   /usr/src/linux
point to
   /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18

If that's the case, drop 1.b. altogether.

--
Jamin W. Collins