tcpdump problem

Hi,

I recently tried to use tcpdump. But soon I realized the following
problem:
when I do a "tcpdump -i eth0 > /dev/null"
I get nearly half of the packets as dropped by kernel.
for example:

z314:~> sudo tcpdump -i eth0 > /dev/null
tcpdump: listening on eth0
<Ctrl-c>
2032 packets received by filter
1946 packets dropped by kernel

My machine is a Athlon XP 1700+ with 512 MB ram, which is idle at the
time of capturing. I use kernel 2.4.19 and debian sid.
This problems happens on my Realtek 8029 NIC (10 Mbit) as well as on my
Realtek 8139 NIC (100 Mbit).

I tried to search the web for such a problem, but I didn't find anything
about this.

Anybody knows something I could try to track down this problem?
Or maybe knows the solution?

Please include me in CC, as I am not subscribed to this list.

greetings
Martin Maurer