Re: window-managers don't find their fonts

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 12:04:16PM +0200, Hans Musil wrote:
> My X-server is running, but I can't start neither twm nor fvwm2. When
> putting "exec xterm" into my $HOME/.xsession, the xterm appears on the
> raw X-surface and ist usable.

Yes, by creating ~/.xsession, you've taken complete control over the X
clients that get started.  You've not started a window manager there,
therefore one does not get started.

Make sure the last line of your ~/.xsession is 'exec fvwm' (or whatever
other manager you want to use).  Also make sure you are backgrounding any
other X clients you start there.

> Trying to start fvwm2 ends in an error-message, saying that fvwm2
> doesn't find its default-font. At the other hand, "fslsfonts -server
> 'unix/:7100'" can find all fonts.

No, the actual message is no doubt to the effect that it cannot find the
'fixed' font.  This is a FAQ.  Refer to the X FAQ in the xfree86-common
package.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net