Re: using exim for simple mail delivery

Jens Grivolla wrote:

So you want to _receive_ mail with exim on a machine that is only
temporarily connected to the internet?

This is possible if you know what you're doing (and have a permanently
connected machine elsewhere that relays to you).  However, it does not
really look like this is the case (no offense meant).

The "only one email address" part makes me think you really want to
poll an external mailbox using POP3 or IMAP.  Exim does not have
anything to do with this, you need to use fetchmail or a MUA that does
it.  Fetchmail would usually use procmail as a MDA.
I rather meant the sorting tasks, not the recieving. For more
please see below:

> Unfortunately I can't figure out if mutt is able
> to handle multiple inboxs on only one
> email account.  The mutt help only seems to discribe
> the marking of maillist mail with the help of the 'lists'
> definitions in ~/muttrc.

Again, it is not clear what you mean by "only one email account".
Once the mail is delivered on your system there are no mail accounts
but different folders or spool files.
The sorting of incoming mail into different inboxs should
only be done with the help of the mail headers, (note, only one
mail adress), example:
debian_user_list -> "debian-inbox"
fvwm_user_list -> "fvwm-inbox"
the rest -> "inbox"
This example would afford the creation of
3 inboxes, all read-in by mutt.

> I found this in ../exim/oview.txt:
> "
> There is support for multiple user mailboxes controlled by prefixes or
>     suffixes on the user name, either via the filter mechanism or through
>     multiple .forward files.
> "
> Does 'this' user name relate to the name I used when
> logging in my debian system?

It can but doesn't have to.  However, this is really _not_ what you
want.

What does this part of the exim documentary mean then?

Thanks for your help
Robert