Setting up RAID

I am looking to install a new rack server this coming weekend, and
since I don't really want to worry about backups to revive a dead
system (data backups are done over the network), I am looking into a
RAID 1 configuration.

I am currently in the process to decide between software and hardware
RAID. Linux has a full RAID system built in, and yet there are RAID
controllers one can buy. Why would I choose to pay money and get
a hardware controller?

Also, since I can't find anything on http://lhd.zdnet.com/, do any of
you have positive or negative things to say about the following RAID
controllers and Debian GNU/Linux?

  - Adaptec 1200A Raid
  - Promise FastTrak133TX2000 UDMA/133 Raid
  - Promise Ultra133TX2 UDMA/133
  - DawiControl DC-133 Raid

Thanks for your time!

`. `'`