Re: Should I convert to ext3?

Chip Rose wrote:

As a new Debian3.0 user, I've seen posts about converting to ext3 or
another type filesystem.  I don't know anything about this, but if it
would make my single-user computer more stable, I might want to try it. Are there significant benefits, to outweigh the "risks" of me possibly
hosing my system?  I went to the following links, and didn't see much in
the way of advocacy or potential upsides.
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html
Thanks/Chip Rose

howdy chip.

not too long ago, i posted the same question about converting to ext3. i had to see for myself exactly what was the big deal. as far as speed goes, i don't see much of a difference. but that wasn't my main concern. what was driving me nuts was the fsck every 20 mounts with ext2. it's not really that big of a deal. nonetheless, i went on my quest to convert all my partitions to ext3. i built a nice new kernel with both ext2/3 built in, ran the necessary tools to convert, changed my fstab accordingly, and rebooted. lo and behold ext3 worked like a charm. and just for fun, i shut my machine off while it was running just to see how ext3 would recover. just like everyone said, what would take ext2 like a couple of minutes to recover took ext3 like 20 seconds! i'm not much of a speed/hardware freak like some people on the list. i like workhorses. with ext3, i feel like i took a step in the right direction.

just my opinion. it worked for me. no problems yet. your mileage (or km), of course, may vary.

good luck!

-jeff